First step is to remember that it is your wedding and you should pick a theme, style or look that really represents the two of you. There are a million images of amazing weddings out there and lots of things to fall in love with. Many of which can make you over spend. Make sure you take a step back and think if it is really something you WANT or just something you think is pretty.
Below are a few things you can do to save some extra money for your wedding, honeymoon or first house. (or whatever you want to use it for)
1. When you use cash, drop all your change into a jar. If you spend $7.65 at lunch, leave a $2 tip and pay with a $20 bill you have $10.35 left. Put the $10 back in your wallet and drop the $.35 in the jar. Do this for a full month and see how much money you spend.
2. Eat out one less time a week. Either lunch or dinner. If it is lunch make a little extra dinner the night before so that you have some leftovers. This can save you on average $7 a week. If you typically eat out 3 or 4 times a week for lunch you can save yourself about $20 a month.
3. Drink more water. It is free. If you go for an afternoon coffee or pop or even just order a drink like Ice Tea or Lemonade with your meals you can save anywhere from $2-6 per drink. Imagine if you went for 10 lunches a month and didn't order a drink and instead just ordered water you could save on the low end $20 a month.
4. Evaluate how you spend money at the grocery store. Use coupons! Even if it is just for one or two items. The money you can save is amazing. There are a lot of programs you can use to help like coupons.com. Additionally, check into the stores you shop at the most for their rewards cards. Safeway has a mobile App and Fred Meyer has a rewards card where you can add manufacture coupons to your card and do not have to clip them. This saves you extra time in trying to remember to take them with you.
5. Use CASH! I know this may sound funny but set up a budget for all your non essential monthly expenses. put together 4 envelopes and if your budget is $400 for the month put five (5) $20 bills in each envelope. At the end of the week whatever is left put in the money jar! Don't roll it to the next month and Don't steal for the next month. If you run out on Thursday make due. Eat at home, don't buy that Starbucks, Dutch Brothers or other coffee drink. Remember the above post about water? :)
6. Walk!! It is amazing how much time we spend driving around. Walk to lunch if there is a place close by, walk to the store or instead of driving somewhere like a movie theater go for a walk with your sweetheart. It will save you some time, money and gives you a workout. :)
7. Errands - Stop on the way home from work to pick up groceries and plan out your day so that you can run all your errands at the same time. Instead of doing 1 day try to schedule a full day on the weekend and get them all done at once.
Most importantly really look at what you are buying. Do you NEED that item? Can you pay for it out of your monthly budget or will it take 2 or 3? Money doesn't grow on trees so it is good to sleep on bigger purchases. If a day or two later you still want it and can afford it without hurting your budget then go for it. :)
Need additional help creating a budget for your wedding? Schedule a consultation with us and we can go over some tips and tricks. There are lots of ways out there to save your budget during your wedding planning process as well as ways to save money and get a few more of the items you would like. So lets chat. :)
Life is about enjoying but not about going into debt. So enjoy the beauty in life.